Saturday, December 27, 2014

Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2015

2015 for films has looked for a very long time not only to be the biggest year for movies in a very long time, but perhaps the biggest year of all-time for movies in terms of the worldwide box-office with an unbelievable stack of big blockbusters set to be released. As expected, some notable films like Batman vs. Superman, Avatar 2, and Finding Dory have in the past year moved their release dates to the following year, but even with those movies moving their dates this still looks to be one huge year. 2014 has been a great year for movies, but it's still pretty hard to contain my excitement for this upcoming year so here's the 10 movies I am the most excited for along with many honorable mentions.

Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):

The Peanuts Movie: This is of course the brand new Charlie Brown movie being brought to the big screen.

Pitch Perfect 2: Should I take out my man card for being even remotely excited for this? Oh whatever, I thought the first Pitch Perfect was for sure going to be a piece of crap, and somehow I ended up really enjoying it.

That's What I'm Talking About: Director Richard Linklater's next project, enough said.

Pan: The new Peter Pan live action film with Hugh Jackman as Blackbird that I'm actually quite looking forward to.

The Fantastic Four: I know many are dreading this reboot, but I'm not. I think they've got the right director and cast behind it. Plus even if it's bad, it has to be better than the previous two FF turds.

Sicario: Director Dennis Villeneuve's next feature film that also stars the lovely Emily Blunt, Josh Brolin, and Benicio Del Toro, so I'm down for it. 

Ant-Man: I've been worried about this new Marvel Studios project ever since the disappointing news of director Edgar Wright leaving the project this past summer, but recently I've definitely gained more confidence for this project and especially after Guardians and Cap 2, I have complete faith that Marvel knows what they're doing.

Joy: The new David O.Russell/Jennifer Lawrence team up film, and after American Hustle, Silver Linings Playbook, and The Fighter, I'm down for whatever David O. Russell does.

Kingsman: The Secret Service: Yes the release date got pushed back a couple months which isn't always the best sign, but Matthew Vaughn hasn't made a bad movie yet, the trailers are awesome, the cast is awesome, and the film just looks like it's going to be a blast. And, I'm hearing some great buzz from early screenings, so I'm excited for this R rated comic book movie.

Crimson Peak: The new Guillermo Del Toro horror flick. I don't know a whole ton about this project (which is a good thing), but I am fan of Del Toro and with the cast that is involved this is definitely one to look out for.

Mad Max: Fury Road-The only reason this movie isn't super high on my list like so many other people is because I still have yet to see any of the older Mad Max movies with Mel Gibson so I need to get myself more familiar with the character I feel. With that being said, I'm still very excited for this movie as I really liked the trailer, Tom Hardy is also one of my favorite actors working today, and even as a bald Charlize Theron still looks amazing. 

Tomorrowland: I've admittedly never been to Tomorrowland, but that trailer really intrigued me, and after what he did with Mission Impossible 4, director Brad Bird has my faith in whatever project he puts out.

Mission Impossible 5: Big fan of this series, Mission Impossible 4 was the best one yet, and Tom Cruise still has it.

It honestly sucked leaving off all these movies, as well as others, but here's the actual Top 10 list.

 #10-The Revenant

This will be the next film from director, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu who if you don't know just recently directed Birdman which I'll say right is by far one of my favorite movies of 2014, so he definitely has my excitement for whatever projects he does, and not only is he directing this one, but Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy will also be starring in this movie, which just gets me even more excited for a film like this. I don't know much about the plot, besides that it is based on a book that I have not read, but I do know it's suppose to be a revenge tale of sorts, which is definitely a genre in my wheelhouse.

#9-Jurassic World

The fourth installment in the Jurassic Park franchinse, and one that I think has so much potential to put life back into a series that clearly needs it. Steven Spielberg's 1993 Jurassic Park, I believe still holds to this day as one of the greatest achievements ever in the blockbuster genre, but I've admittedly still avoid the following two sequels due to a lot of the slack they get. However, with director Colin Trevorrow (who directed the nice indie film Safety Not Guaranteed) at the helm this time, and Chris Pratt who is quickly becoming one of the the biggest stars out there right now leading an impressive cast, I have a lot of faith that this will be the installment that gets the excitement back to this universe. Plus, that trailer was well pretty kick-ass too with two of the coolest moments I've seen from any trailer in a very long time.



 #8-Furious 7

The fast & furious series has always been a series I've had a lot of fun with. Sure, there are a few installments that quite frankly suck, but this franchise has done something that I'm not sure any other franchise has ever done before: only get better as they continue making the movies. Ever since they added the Rock in Fast Five, the excitement in this series has just gotten bigger, as has my enjoyment as I had a blast with both Fast Five and Fast & Furious 6, and I think judging by the trailer they released this movie will continue that. Also, adding to my excitement to this movie is really adding Jason Statham as the main villain, who is going to bring chaos to our main characters, and I can't wait to see him go head to head with guys like Vin Diesel and The Rock. Plus, you got Kurt Russell joining along, and director James Wan at the helm this time, who's well known for directing horror movies, but I think he's going to show his versatility as a filmmaker with this movie. And, as we know this will unfortunately also be the last time we see Paul Walker in a movie, so this will be a tough goodbye, but I look forward to seeing him one last time and seeing what they do with his character.

#7-The Hunger Games: Mockingjay-Part 2

Say what you want about The Hunger Games franchise, I am a big fan of the series (movies and the books), and I know a lot of people had mix feelings on Mockingjay: Part 1, but I really dug it and found it to be a satisfying lead up to the grand finale. Originally, I wasn't very happy about the idea of splitting the shortest book into two movies just to make some extra bucks, but after seeing Part 1 I'm more willing to accept it because I think it's allowing them to explore a little more of the universe that wasn't explored in the book. I'm excited to see what the team has in store for his in this final installment, and after seeing it I think my appreciation for Part 1 is just going to hopefully increase. Plus, Jennifer Lawrence is in it and that admittedly always helps for me.

#6-Inside Out

This is the next feature film from Disney's Pixar studios. There's no denying that Pixar has been on a bit of a downslide with recent films like Cars 2 and Brave, movies that failed to come anywhere close to the usual great animated films they put out, but given the really original plot of "Inside Out", and the word of mouth I'm hearing that many studio execs at Pixar believe this will be their greatest achievement yet (which says a lot from the studio that is responsible for the Toy Story trilogy, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc, and so many other gems), I strongly believe this will be the movie where they return to their form of glory.


#5-Spectre

I was just as excited as anyone else was when I heard director Sam Mendes was returning to the Bond franchise, as I absolutely loved the latest installment in the series, Skyfall which he directed, and not only will he be returning to the director's chair, Daniel Craig will be returning as Bond. And, besides those two names, you're also getting Christoph Waltz as the new Bond villain, and I think we can all agree this is an actor born to play a Bond villain. And, Monica Bellucci and Lea Seydoux as most likely the new Bond girls, and David Bautista aka Drax the Destroyer also joining the cast? Yes, sign me up I can't wait.


#4-The Hateful Eight

 This next Quentin Tarantino project has definitely had a lot of drama going on behind it with the script being leaked online, and Tarantino even cancelling the project for a short period of time, but whenever the words Quentin and Tarantino are attached to a project it has my curiosity and attention as he's made some of my all-time favorite films. This next movie sounds like it's just going to be a really fun and gritty western, plus when you have names like Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Madsen, and Kurt Russell attach to the cast, my excitement just goes up.

#3-Silence

Director Martin Scorsese's next project, which is being adapted from a book that I've never read before, but this sounds like a really interesting story that is definitely in the wheelhouse of Martin Scorsese. And like Tarantino, Scorsese is another director who whenever his name is attached to a project I will be lining up to see it, especially when he has a cast like Liam Neeson, Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, and Ken Watanabe leading the way.

#2-Avengers: Age of Ultron

This #2 pick probably comes as a surprise to nobody, but what can I say I am a Marvel fanboy. Marvel studios had a heck of a year in 2014 with Cap 2, and Guardians of the Galaxy, so clearly that sets the bar even higher for this already much anticipated Avengers sequel, but after that first trailer released back in October, any concerns or reservations I had for this movie were honestly thrown right out the window. This sequel just really looks like it's not only going to raise the stakes, and tension, but also have a huge effect on the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Judging by everything I've been hearing about this movie, and knowing director Joss Whedon, I believe this will be the darkest and edgiest feature yet from the MCU. And just to add to my beyond words excitement for this sequel, we will be getting a lot of great new additions like the characters of Quicksilver (being played by Aaron Johnson), and Scarlett Witch (being played by the beautiful Elizabeth Olsen), as well as Andy Serkis as a unknown character, and without a doubt the addition that excites me the most the addition of the brillant James Spader as the villain, Ultron whom he will be providing voice work and motion capture for. There were many awesome and jaw-dropping moments in the Age of Ultron trailer that was release, but without a doubt the highlight was Ultron as James Spader's voice was enough to quite frankly send chills down my bones. This will be a villain that I can tell will bring much damage to this Avengers team, and I know Spader is going to hit it out of the park.

#1-Star Wars The Force Awakens

Did you have any doubts what my #1 would be? When it was announced two years ago, that Disney had acquired the rights of Star Wars from Lucasfilm (as well as buying the studio) and we would be getting not only a brand new Star Wars film, but an actual proper sequel to the original trilogy, I was as excited as about any other fan. Like most Star Wars fans, I was never too fond of the prequel trilogy (although I don't really mind Episode 3 admittedly), they just didn't have any of that magical feel or heart the original films had, so I love that we're getting back the original trio with this new installment. I mean the fact that we're getting a new movie with Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Lea is still pretty hard to believe. And, hearing J.J. Abrams was being brought on to direct for me since he still has yet to make a bad movie was a great move, and I have faith he's going to do justice to this franchise. He's also got a really great cast with lots of terrific new additions, and just watching that really short teaser trailer that released last month, just sealed my excitement as within just a minute (if even that) of footage I felt like I was watching a true Star Wars movie, it already had that magical feel to it that made the original trilogy so special and hopefully I will feel that way when watching the movie come December 18, 2015.


Well, there you have it! 2015 looks like it should be an awesome year of movies, and let's have our fingers cross there aren't too many disappointments. Let's hope for a great year period.








No comments:

Post a Comment